Eat like a local
Teleclubs in Lanzarote
A Teleclub is a place where there is normally a bar and restaurant area, and other rooms where different activities (such as card games) take place. There’s usually a tv around, always on and showing the local news or a lucha canaria (Canary Island-style wrestling) match.
In Lanzarote, many of the sociedades(social clubs) are still called Teleclubs. This dates back from the times when the sociedad had the only television in the town, so everybody would go there to watch it. Most are an integral part of the community
Virtually every village in Lanzarote has a Teleclub and it’s usually run by a local family or a couple, they have a great reputation for offering cheap quality traditional Spanish dishes. Everybody is welcome to eat or snack, Generous portions and good prices make it a must place to stop when traveling around the island.
Papas arrugadas (literally wrinkled potatoes) are my favorite thing to eat at all the Teleclubs, These are always served with several types of mojo – rich sauces of garlic, olive oil, vinegar, herbs and a selection of spices, my favourite being the spicy red sauce made with chillies and peppers.
Here are some of my personal favorite Teleclubs:
- Guatiza Sociedad – located near the church in the centre of Guatiza, close to the cactus gardens, the food here is exceptional, with steaks and fresh fish being the order of the day. This is a large Teleclub with a bowls area and cavernous bar.
- Haria Sociedad – In the north of the island this Teleclub is in the main plaza in the village and is attached to a huge village hall. There is a menu but the staff can tell you the specials available that day. A specialty of mine usually available is Queso a la plancha, whiich is goat’s cheese grilled and served with a delicious mojo verde sauce and it’s mouth watering good.
- Punta Mujeres Sociedad – This one is right on the sea front in Punta Mujeres and specializes in fresh fish. Always busy and lively, there is a football pitch and bolas courts attached, so it’s great for Children and adult to enjoy some sports too.
- Teleclub el Mojón – Just a minute walk from our Villa Montana you’ll find this lovely Teleclub. Its only open weekends but serves amazing food and has a bar serving drinks till late. There is a Children’s playground and ball court great to keep the little ones busy.
- Teleclub De Tao – Located in the centre of the island in Tao your find Mediterranean and Spanish cuisines are served at this bar, great dishes including monkfish, fried cheese and frita, also tasty homemade cheesecakes and fruitcake make this a good place to stop in an ideal location on the island.